Wednesday, October 19, 2005


Do you see ME ? - Unless you are in my zone, I do not see you.
Drivers, have a zone of awareness which is very narrow on the side of the car and about 2 or 3 car length in front. Behind, nothing up to 3 car lengths. (because traffic rush tightness and frequence tailgating, we do not look behind)
As I drove my bicycle to a stop, on a community street with a bike path area; I notice the driver of the stopped car, eating a snack bar and talking to her front seat passenger. As she turned, I stayed behind a bit; because I had taught my daughters to make eye contact with the driver to be sure they know you are there.
As she turned, eat, and talked, she lost control (at the slow speed) and crossed into the bike path and up to the sidewalk. I yelled through the open back window, and with the sidewalk contact and my yelling; added to the other three activities, she almost had a heart attack.
It is invisible to all of us, how much we take the action of driving for granted. I did several things while driving; until I learned not to drink hot coffee while driving. (Hot coffee and the position of the cup over "Manhood" leads for quite a quick surprise).
I wish with the introduction of the cellphone, that instead of using technology to remove the interference of items like the motor of the car; they had allow the multi-frequency spark plug noise to prevent cellphone from working inside a vehicle.

No comments: