Thursday, September 22, 2005

Lost Cashier - Are Self-service checkout counters at the supermarket removing jobs from Cashiers ? Tonight, I used the machine for the first time, as I saw the long line at the few items cashier. It was not all that bad, although the Vegetables seem a bit more difficult. Reading the codes was unique. Where was the Cashier ? I checked the controlling Cashier station where she was controlling 6 machines; and was aware she needs to be on her toes. (Maybe, be cause more are first time users, like myself)
I was surprised to see (or discover) all the electronic controls. Electric eye detects your presence, even the bags sit on a weight sensor which detects if you put something in your bags. And don't try to take your bags before paying; the Cashier arrives FAST. No I was not attempting to leave, I just thought that now all was checked in, I had to take my bags and go to the cashier at the end. (No, machine takes your money, bills, cards everything).
Invisible world because of the disappearing Cashier but most off all, we forget how much electronics can check every move, every unique variations of the norm. Worst is the damm machine say "Put your item in the bag" when I left it on the side of the reader after reading. It would not advance until I did. Guess now will have to see if it detects two items bagged at a time..Ha ha.

No comments: