Saturday, November 12, 2005


Teachers Watch what influence you do.. Here in Quebec, a lot of my friends went to school under the nuns and religious structure of education. (late 60's and early 70's).
The other night while playing a sport with fellow elderly people, I said to my fellow player. "Let Rene play now because he is right handed and the approach to the jack is best for a right handed" (I am also left handed but schooled in Nova Scotia)
Well she got really mad and explosive saying "All my life, especially when young, I have been told I was no good because I was left handed" She was in her 60's (As am I) and continued to explain "My fingers were cracked by the teacher because I wrote left handed" "Now you suggest I am not good enough to play next"
As a team, I had chosen because of the obstructs and the abilities of each of us three players (Pétanque); but she still had scars emotionally andphysicallyy from her early school years.
It was true that many religious teachers felt that left hander were a sign of evilinfluencede and should be changed. It was a school system of rigid rules and principles. Often aleft handedd student would be taken as an example. If something went wrong... "See the evil of not being like everyone else."
It is an invisible world for those who areleft handedd. My sister-in-law use to set the table in left hand style at my place. I could go to visit and I knew where I was expected to sit. It was always at the corner of a table where my left elbow would be free to pass the table without any influence from my eating companion.

No comments: