Saturday, December 16, 2017

Christmas Giving Cards and Happiness

As the second week of December  finshes and Christmas Day

Nice when all lite up
 approaches; I can see Christmas in a couple of different ways,. First it seems everything is being projected as to when their activity or service  will be closed for Christmas, and then in January 2018 when the activity will be started
 And most important,, this is the time when  family and friends seem to try to get together or to say hello to each other and if they can't visit, they at lease do  some sort of communication.

I was awaken by the doorbell yesterday and was thinking maybe I got a visitor. This was because one of  my friend from New Brunswick is travelling to Quebec City. Montreal and then Toronto by car.. They would be passing through Montreal at this time  and probably sleeping in Montreal so I went to bed thinking that today they might be visiting.. But it was the mailman  who brought me a small package and from the return address I was excited to see that it was from British Columbia which contained a package which contained  two small gifts and a Christmas card.

Christmas cards are common Christmas habit to some people but not me.  I don't think I received a mailed Christmas card for several years. ( Not counting the regular card from my wife)  Although friends, whom \I knew or lived with, seem to receive 20 or 30 of them.
Reads "You're A Blessing "
 
There are Christmas cards that are sent where the sender writes three or four words like "Merry Christmas|", "Season Greetings" or something else usually rather  short. But this card was like a  table side conversation that happens when somebody comes in and  sits for a visit. I could see that it was as if something had been said (written)  and then later something else, and then later something else. It was clear that finally she had to stop writing because all the white space for writing was used up. Where to start ??

So I got my first Christmas card in many years and after viewing the two full interior pages,  I read the first sentence I saw, which filled my eyes with tears as my heart , excited with joy, remembered the thing or time which was being told.  I could not read any more, although there seems to be so much I wanted to read.  But that one sentence brought to mind the love of the sender and a sadness as  it  reminded me of how some people were, in year past, and how much they have  changed and how family had valued me in the past.

The sender, who has had her own hard times of the past years spoke of how we all have experienced the  good time  But that one sentence spoke of memories that were as valuable as gold and  I could see and remember the sender  laughing as she was always laughing as a little girl.

I decided that her card was so valuable that I would read one sentence a day and cherish it. When I say cherish it. I mean to spend time thinking what was being said. Like if somebody was sitting at the table telling you  this thing and you know that the conversation is not going to end soon, If I forced myself to read the whole card at once, it would be over in 5 minutes;  and it might be a long time before I experience this level of happiness and memories. 
 
So I will value it and after I have read every line and spend the day with that memory, I will find time to be sure  to answer the card and remember all the things  written as if it has been a visit and the conversation of a visitor at the kitchen table.
 
Thank You my dear sweet child of the past..  I love you too. You made an old man very happy and all this next fwo weeks will be a new experience as I read a new sentence. Probably in the outdoors on a bench.

God Bless,  The Christ Child be in you home and heart.

No comments: