Friday, May 21, 2010

"Hunting Ethic" - Quebec Moose Hunting Well, here in New Brunswick, I will not have the fall Moose hunt which I so looked forward to, while I was living in Quebec. The photo (above) is a capture from a NovaScotia.com video shows the moose walking up this hill side while tourists sit within yards. To the animal lover and anti-hunting advocate, such experience are memorable moments. In this video, (photo left, click the photo plse) the mother moose actually sniffs and moves the hunter's arrow, before moving off. Often we hunters. have close calls and heart beating moments, as this video shows. The hunter's ability to remain calm and motionless must have been quite remarkable. I can not experience this because I have a high blinking eye movement and the white of the eyes during a blink, will draw an alarm from deer and Moose. Although I as a traditional bowhunter, (one piece wood bow) have had a 3/4 ton bull withing 10 feet. ( I did not shoot because when I raised my bow (72" long) to draw and shoot I felt the tip of the bow in the branches overhead. Hunters (or especially bowhunters) will refuse to shoot for reason which we call "Hunting Ethic". And we believe, we will get another chance with a bigger or better situation.
We decide, and are proud of our personal ethic, to not shoot because, as this hunter did; (in the video) would have liked the mother and calf to pass without sounding an alarm call and destroy the hours of preparation and motionless already invested in the experience. (I bet his joints are sore and he step back and sat down after this mother and calf moved off).
Now, I will do a personal comment here.... We hunters have our own ethic and therefore do not attempt a probably unsuccessful archery shot. But Game Management Agencies must also understand that in charging a large hunting fee, limited number of permits and short seasons ; only cause hunters to attempt everything to harvest their query. Even if they must do it illegally. During my days of rifle hunting or mixed hunts on Provincial Reserves; I have heard a lot of hunters comments. Things like.. "With the number of years I have attempted to have my name drawn, I will bring home my moose"... or "You are not a true hunter unless you kill your Moose."
Game Management is to make decisions for the stewardship of our wildlife not the most profitable method of bleeding the hunter purse.
New Brunswick Moose Hunting Season (2009) was as per a draw and at a cost of $472.34 for non-resident and 81.36$ resident or 41.81$ for seniors. The 2009 Season was a three days weekend (Sept 24-26) with the total number of Moose harvest listed as 2,341 moose of 6000 permits sold.. Seems there are a lot of Moose in New Brunswick or at least everyone is quite successful. (Is these kills Legal or Illegal ??) In 2010, a Moose Nonresident License Draw for 100 tickets will be available for $40 to enter the draw. online or by phone ( 1-800-994-2666). Each hunter may enter once per year with results available after May17 and must be purchased by June 11, 2010. (I believe non successful draw applications are also not refundable)

No comments: